Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On 2004-01-01 15:10:32 +0000 Raul Miller <moth@magenta.com> wrote:

But please don't demand other people avoid non-free software if you're
not willing to solve their problems.

Are the people using the Debian infrastructure to support non-free helping to prevent the problems from being solved? Already, someone has mentioned some Java packages that I think could be in Debian but aren't. Is that because contrib is an easy enough home for them? If so, then removing non-free and contrib from our infrastructure would probably encourage them into Debian, solving one problem.

I have two problems with this message. Firstly, I can't understand the repeated request that people who disagree with the use of non-free software do things to support it. It is clearly harder to solve problems we don't (can't? won't?) experience: why don't the people who care want to do this work? Are they giving an unnecessary and difficult precondition?

Secondly, I read this whole message, but didn't see a direct hook to a particular vote. Wouldn't it be better on -project or another more general list?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at