Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 06:01:05PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Note that both of those sentences are future tense, and do not set a
> time limit. They're at least as legitimate as any resolution that
> modifies the social contract (which, by definition, will not strictly
> comply with the version in force at the time the GR is passed).

This proposal seems to me to be intellectually dishonest, in the sense
that it makes worse the underlying conflicts it purports to solve.

For example "supporting the use of non-free software" includes future
tense.

And that's aside from the fact that it's feasible to disable uploads at
any time (for example, if the upload server gets hacked) -- the social
contract is more about intent than feasiblity.

Finally, there's a significant distinction between language which would
change the social contract when it receives sufficient votes and language
which would violate the social contract when it receives sufficient votes.

--
Raul