Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 08:43:11PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> I propose the following resolution:
> The next release of Debian will not be accompanied by a non-free
> section; there will be no more stable releases of the non-free
> section. Uploads to the non-free section of the archive will be
> disabled as soon as is feasible. The Debian project will cease active
> support of the non-free section.

This resolution violates the social contract, so cannot be passed. I
therefore call on the secretary to reject it on procedural grounds.

HTH, HAND. :)

> Some constraints have been applied here on when these things will
> happen, but most has been left deliberately vague. The fate of the
> files currently in unstable/non-free is deliberately unspecified.

How about the people proposing this have a talk to the people affected
by it -- ftpmaster, the release management team, etc -- and try to work
out the best way to carry out the transition in all aspects, so that
the project can make an informed decision in advance, rather than have
to guess about something there's a good chance we'll regret later?

Similarly, separating the changes to the social contract and the removal
of non-free onto separate ballots is also restricting the available
information for people trying to vote. Please don't try to do it.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004