Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:47:23 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 08:28:54PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 06:56:15PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

Anthony's example splits a potential "change social contract"
supermajority into two, and yours splits it into three.

This pretty much ensures the defeat of any option that requires a
3:1 majority, and makes it extremely difficult even to satisfy a
propostion that requires only a simple majority.

This doesn't make sense.

Of course it does.  Consider:

	I don't think you understand the voting system.

[   ] Choice 1: Remove Clause 5 of the Social Contract(, Keep Debian Swirl Red)
[   ] Choice 2: Remove Clause 5 of the Social Contract, Make Debian Swirl Green
[   ] Choice 3: Remove Clause 5 of the Social Contract, Make Debian Swirl Blue
[   ] Choice 4: Further Discussion

250 ballots ranking 1234
250 ballots ranking 2314
250 ballots ranking 3124
250 ballots ranking 2221

Choices 1, 2, and 3 require a 3:1 majority to pass, of course.

What happens?  Our voting system does not give us the ability to
reach the common-sense conclusion that 3 out of every 4 voters
wanted to remove clause 5 from the Social Contract.  Instead,

	Which, in a 3:1 majority, is barely enough.

The language in the Constitution is "strictly greater", so it is barely not enough.

"further discussion" wins.

	Wrong.  I think that this is where the disconnect is; this
 example represents a profound misunderstanding of our voting system.

Well, "further discussion" does win, since 750:250 is not "strictly greater" than 3:1.

But, modulo that edge case, I agree this example represents a profound misunderstanding of our voting system.

Option 1 passes Majority.               3.000 (750/250) > 3
Option 2 passes Majority.               3.000 (750/250) > 3
Option 3 passes Majority.               3.000 (750/250) > 3

For the sake of argument, let's say 3.000 > 3 instead of 3.000 == 3.