Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:15:13PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:41:15 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:31:58PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >> So, the proscription in the SC is the only thing that stands
> >> between an admins whim to remove non-free?
>
> > I think it's the only formal or structural impediment, yes.  But
>
> In which case this needs to be pointed out; since this is likely to
> be the last chance that the mere mortal developers have of having
> any say in the process of elimination of non free.

The archive admins still need to answer to the project. If they
weren't barred from removing non-free right away (which may or may not
be case with the proposed GR, I don't claim to know) and went ahead
anyway they would either need to be ignorant of the immensely
controversial nature of removing non-free or simply not care. In
either (IMHO) unlikely case, their decision could be overruled by the
developers.

I think it's a little far-fetched to claim that they would move ahead
with something so clearly controversial, public, and central in
Debian's history without a mandate.

> If this proposal passes, wouldn't it be a mandate to also remove
> non-free, and the admins shall be acting in accordance with the
> wishes of the developers?

Branden's justification makes it *explicitly* clear that this is not
the case. I don't see how anyone could see that as a mandate as its
worded and justified in a way that explicitly claims that this is not
the case.

Regards,
Mako

--