Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:09:42PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 06:14:24PM -0800, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > Also, in the first sentence in the second section, the proposed text
> > reads: "we will license them as freely in a manner consistent with the
> > Debian Free Software Guidelines." I think there is a residual "as" in
> > there. You could probably lose the "as freely" and just have it say
> > "we will license them in a manner..." and it would make sense.
>
> Hmm.  Branden already amended his proposal to drop the "as" (and I
> followed suit).  You'll have to propose dropping the "freely"
> separately :)

Well then... I'd like to propose dropping the word "freely"
altogether. :)

Currently the text reads: "we will license them freely in a manner
consistent with the Debian Free Software Guidelines."

I'd think it should say: "we will license them in a manner consistent
with the Debian Free Software Guidelines."

It seems to me that if we license them in a manner consistent with the
DFSG, they will automatically be licensed freely and as people have
brought up in other parts of this thread, "freely" is a little
awkward and confusing.

Regards,
Mako

--