Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 01:41:40AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> I think I agree with the comment that this amendment mixes too many
> things into one proposal. For example, I agree with the generalisation
> (rationale point 2) and most of the "editorial" changes, but violently
> disagree with changing the use of "software" from its true meaning to
> something apparently meaning "programs" (rationale point 4).

Two things:

One, claiming "its true meaning" presupposes a whole lot. I understand
your position because I'm up to speed on -legal (many readers of -vote
are not) but I still think that this is a pretty risky thing to say.

Two, AIUI, rational point 4 says exactly the opposite of what you say
above. It says, "This proposal expands the language of our commitment
to freedom beyond just "software." It also aims to retitle the title
of the first section of the Social Contract from "Debian Will Remain
100% Free Software" to "Debian Will Remain 100% Free." Not only does
this not change the use of "software" to something apparently meaning
"programs" but in fact clarifies the exact opposite.

Did you read the wdiff wrong, mistype, or am I missing something? If
it's the first option, check out Richard Braakman's page. It's much
more readable. If it's the last bit, please correct me. :)

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill