Re: Call for votes for the Condorcet/Clone proot SSD voting methodsGR

Hi,

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>  I heard that new Australian citizens
> are told that their two responsibilities as Australian citizens are
> jury duty and voting.

No paying taxes? Cool!  ;-)

> I suppose it would be unworkable for Debian though.

Personally, I'd rather have ten voters who are interested in the outcome of a
vote (and therefore might be assumed to make an informed decision), than 1000
who only vote because it's compulsory (and therefore vote without enaging
their higher brain functions).

The Australian vote is secret, so if somebody truly doesn't want to vote they
can easily submit an empty ballot. For Debian, the equivalent would be a
ballot with every option ranked equally. Thus a compulsory vote is
ineffective WRT determined non-voters and only serves to dilute the result.
:-/

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de  |   smurf@smurf.noris.de
Disclaimer: Das Zitat wurde zufällig ausgewählt.  |   http://smurf.noris.de