Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 08:20:11PM +0200, Markus Schulze wrote:
> You wrote (25 May 2003):
> > C fails to reach its majority requirement and is dropped.
> > B and A are the only remaining options, and B defeats A.
> > B wins.
> That's strange! The majority requirement makes the default
> option lose. Doesn't that contradict the intention of the
> majority requirement?

If quorum's met by all options, then the default option wins only if
it's the outright Condorcet winner.

What that means is if there is _any_ option that a majority prefers over
not doing anything, we'll do something.

Additionally, it means that if a majority would prefer to make no decision
over some particular outcome, that outcome will not happen.

I think those two things make a lot of sense. Note that the default
option isn't quite the same as the status-quo: positively doing nothing
("we think the current situation is grand, and want to keep it that way")
rather than passively doing nothing ("let's think about this some more
and decide later"), are specifically different things.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''