Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

Sam Hartman wrote:

> Aj has made what seems to me to be a compelling argument that
>
> 1) local quorum is not flawed in this case
>
> 2) The Debian community wants B to win votes of this form.
>
> What we are saying is that we are giving minorities the power in
> certain limited cases to overrule the majority and force us to select
> an second acceptable option in preference to an acceptable option more
> preferred by the majority.  I.E.  when options are fairly close, a
> minority finding a particular option unacceptable can change the
> outcome of the election.

correct me if i am wrong, but, isn't quorum suppoed to _prevent_
minority rule? now you are saying that minority rule is good, and
desired?

if that is the case, i recommend scrapping the entire idea of quorum, as
it breaks condorcet in strange and interesting ways.

in this case, the options were not fairly close at all. 10 people
prefered A over B. only five people prefered B over A. that is a 2:1
margin. that is a 2/3'ds majority in favour of A, and it still lost.

-john