Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 09:57:13PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:
> I don't believe that it's acceptable for an otherwise beaten option
> to win due the the otherwise winning option being discarded due
> to a quorum requirement, as John suggests might happen.

Under the proposed system, we would do exactly the same thing for otherise
winning options being discarded due to a supermajority requirement.

What makes this behavior acceptable for supermajority requirements and
unacceptable for quorum requirements?

To my knowledge, the only issue here is that other voting systems [for
example, those indicated by Roget's Rules of Order] have defined quorum
in terms of number of voters present and do not collect votes if quorum
is not met.

--
Raul