Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:27:21PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:

> Here, the vote(s) for B caused A to win.
>
> Other examples are possible (for example: 19 ABD, 1 BDA).
>
> > > To make your proposal work right, we'd need a separate quorum
> > > determination phase which is independent of the voting phase.
> >
> > i fail to see that argument.
>
> See above.

I don't believe that it's acceptable for an otherwise beaten option to
win due the the otherwise winning option being discarded due to a quorum
requirement, as John suggests might happen.

I also don't believe that it's acceptable to break the Monotonicity Criterion.

If a winning option would be discarded due to quorum requirements, then
I think the vote should probably be considered void.

Sorry I don't have time to make much more of a contribution than this.

Cheers,

Nick

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few days.