Re: Ending votes early

On Tue, 13 May 2003 03:15:01 -0400, Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> said:

> On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 06:52 PM, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> After re-reading the draft (prompted by Branden on IRC), I think I
>> don't know how to define "when the vote is no longer in doubt",
>> since people can always revote.

> Well, the current draft says "In this context, we ignore the
> possibility that people might want to change their vote."

	Is that a reasonable statement?

>> Say, with 1000 voters, on day 1, 800 people voted option A over
>> option B,

> According to the current draft, the vote can be closed at this
> point.

	Again, that would mean that the voters, though initially
 promised a certain amount of time to determine, cast, and change
 their vote, would have suddenly had the period reduced; and the
 results of the vote would have been different.

	The major problem, as I see it, is that we have not yet
 conducted enough votes, and on enough different _kinds_ of options,
 to convincingly determine what fraction of voters typically change
 their minds, and to build a safe buffer in determining when a vote is
 not in doubt. Given that, I am not comfortable enshrining our
 speculation of the magnitude of this number into the constitution,
 which does tend to get writ in stone.

	manoj
--
Auction: A gyp off the old block.