Re: current A.6 draft

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:53:46PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> 2:1 supermajority means that these developers are trying to overrule a
> technical committee decision.  This implies that the technical committee
> does not agree with either A or B, and that the issue is technical
> in nature.
>
> So, in this case, the fact that no option has enough approval from the
> developers (none defeats the default option by by 2:1) means that it's
> probably a good idea to talk through the issue a bit more.

Sorry again that my example has been fragmented and is thus unclear,
but:  The original premise is that everyone really thinks that both
A and B are better than the default (obviously, the technical
committee is locked in a closet and can't vote).  A and B might in
fact be minor variations on the same idea.  But supporters of A rank
D above B to sabotage B, and vice versa.  Under your system this
works, reliably.  And there is no way out (within the voting
system).

Maybe Debian voters have enough integrity that this is not really a
problem.  But I find it worrying that the incentive exists.

Regarding your other message:  This is one _specific_ disadvantage
to your system that I don't think has been looked in the face.

Andrew