Re: General Resolution draft against spam.

 Santiago> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> The answer is not to treat legitimate users like dirt, and
 >> force them to use the subscribe address (my subscribe address is
 >> never the address I post from).

 Santiago> No, you could subscribe the address you post from to the
 Santiago> "white list".

	These are not constant, nor known to me a priori. I travel a lot.

 Santiago> Unless you change ISP several times a week, this would not be a
 Santiago> problem for you, Manoj.

	I change ISP's several times a month, and, indeed, sometimes
 use more than 2 a week.

 Santiago> More to the point: When Bruce was the Project Leader, there
 Santiago> was a procedure to validate every email address using
 Santiago> cookies. You had only to answer the cookie once for every
 Santiago> different From: you want to use.  This procedure worked
 Santiago> very well, it didn't require any moderators, it was 100%
 Santiago> effective against spam, and it was never a big problem for
 Santiago> legitimate users.

	This pushes the burden on to innocent people; and that is what
 I object to. I often am not rachable at the addresses I post from;
 and hence can't answer cookies.

 The youth of today and of those to come after them would assess the
 work of the revolution in accordance with values of their own ... a
 thousand years from now, all of them, even Marx, Engels, and Lenin,
 would possibly appear rather ridiculous.  -- Mao Tse-tung