Re: Election status

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 02:38:21PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 10:44, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Actually, it's pretty easy. As part of the vote, you have an "order id",
> > and whichever of these is highest, no matter what order the votes were
> > received in, is accepted. So you give the bully the vote he wants, with
> > `one bazillion' in the order field, and then submit the vote you really
> > wanted with `one bazillion and one' in the order field. You need to be
> > careful with your acks and naks in this case though.
> Yes, but how do you then allow someone to verify correct counting of the
> votes.

Like I've said a few times, I'm not convinced it's possible to setup a
voting system that:

	(a) doesn't provide receipts you can use to prove who you voted for
	(b) allows you to verify your vote was counted correctly
	(c) allows you to change your vote

Look back through the thread for some approaches at avoiding two out of
three of those. You'd have to research the literature if you wanted to
find a more convincing answer about doing all three.

You'll note that real life secret ballots only provide (a) and the first
few DPL elections provided (c) with some attempt at (a), and last year's
provided (b) and (c).

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''