Re: Election status

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 03:07:56AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 10:59:51AM -0500, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> > But he will see that his vote wasn't counted, and punish you.  How
> > can you foil him, without him knowing you foiled him?
>
> How will he see that, exactly? There weren't any tallies posted at the
> end to let people verify things, and every correctly formatted, signed
> vote gets an ack, whether it actually gets counted or not.

Maybe I missed something.  Aren't you publicly posting the list of
votes at the end, each with some token that allows the voter to
verify his vote?  The overriden vote won't be on the list.

> Getting both verifiability and deniability is difficult. Getting one or
> the other is quite possible, though, which was the point of the above.

I have been assuming that you aren't willing to give up
verifiability, and trying for some measure of deniability in
addition.  I think the scheme I suggested achieves this, as long as
the enemy doesn't get to you before the vote.  (If he does, you can
still deny that you cast any particular vote, but you can't deny
that you did not cast your vote with the id he told you to use.)

Andrew