Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:51:12PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 07:54:46PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:38:02AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > > You misunderstand. Having an opinion and trying to "lead" the project does
> > > not mean overriding the Developers' final decisions. Obviously the DPL
> > > can have one opinion, and lobby for one result, while still making
> > > decisions based on what the developers wish.
> >
> > Granted. If the meaning of "support" in your mail was just having an opinion
> > and advertise it, there is nothing wrong with that. When supporting means
> > actively leading the project in that direction, then I think there is some
> > weight in the constitution against that.
> >
> > Until now, we have ever found out early enough when someone was visibly
> > acting against the majority of the developers, for sure ;)
>
> Actually the paragraphs you quoted from the constitution merely state that
> the DPL should not base his decisions on his opinion. That does not
> prevent the DPL from actively trying to sway support for one side of an
> issue or the other. It just means when it comes right down to the actual
> decision, that the Developers at large weigh heavy on the process, and
> the outcome.

I think now you misunderstood ;) I do not disagree with you. When I wrote
"actively leading the project in that direction", I meant making decisions
that lead the projct in that direction.

> I would think that removing the DPL's right to an opinion, and the right
> to express it in project matters, would be stripping him of the "L" in
> "DPL".

Nobody says a DPL should not have an opinion and express it, too. It would
be silly, as the DPL is not an expert machine, but a human.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de