Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 12:51:11PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I would certainly not like to vote for someone who just said "I'll
> > support whatever the project supports", since that would not be a
> > "leader" at all, but a follower :)
>
> Strange enough, this is what the constitution expects the leader to do.

I disagree with the constitution (or at least your interpretation of it)
on this matter.  I think nobody denies that Ian wrote the constitution in
an attempt to effectively castrate the DPL and leave him all but powerless
in practice, but having seen the results of that kind of non-leadership I
think I don't like it.

>   5.3. Procedure
>
>    The Project Leader should attempt to make decisions which are
>    consistent with the consensus of the opinions of the Developers.

This sounds to me like the DPL is supposed to try and represent the people
he works for.

>    Where practical the Project Leader should informally solicit the views
>    of the Developers.

This too.

>    The Project Leader should avoid overemphasizing their own point of
>    view when making decisions in their capacity as Leader.

I'm not sure how to read this.  It cannot read that the DPL should not
have their own opinion or offer it when asked, even if it were not the
consensus opinion.  In fact, the willingness to stand firm and believe as
you believe because it seems correct regardless of the consensus is very
important IMO.  The real question is whether or not you act according to
consensus even if you disagree with it.

> I would certainly not vote a candidate who is not familiar with this
> paragraph of the constitution, or who is not willing to follow it.

I certainly wouldn't vote for a yes-man.  We don't need a dictator, we
don't need an absentee leader, and we don't need someone unwilling to even
share their opinion.  What we need is someone willing to lead.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

10) there is no 10, but it sounded like a nice number :)
        -- Wichert Akkerman