Re: Condorcet Voting and Supermajorities (Re: [CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT] Disambiguation of 4.1.5)

I wrote:
> I'm using the dictionary definition of the word "strict".
>
> However, I'm happy with formal definitions of the concept "strict
> preference" ...

Thinking about this further, I'm not sure I'm completely happy with the
formal definition of "strict preference".

As I understood the formalisms (when I wrote the above quoted material),
transitivity is only an issue for weak preference.  However, reading
over some various papers on these issues, I see that there's a certain
amount of flexibility in the terms and that for some concepts of strict
preference transitivity might possibly be an issue (I'd have to spend
considerable time studying the material -- or consult an expert --
before I could say one way or the other).

Also, formal definitions of "strict preference" talk about the preference
of individuals, not the preference of a group of individuals.

For now, I'd like to fall back on the dictionary definition of "strict".

Or, in more formal terms: I believe that the constitutional use of
the phrase "strictly more ballots prefer A to B than prefer B to A"
implies a relationship which may be classifed as a "strict preference"
when transitive relationships are considered.

Here's the definitions of the term "strict" which I consider
relevant:

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Strict \Strict\ (?), a. [Compar. Stricter (?); superl.
     Strictest.] [L. strictus, p. p. of stringere to draw or bind
     tight, to strain. See Strain, and cf. Strait, a.]
     3. Exact; accurate; precise; rigorously nice; as, to keep
        strict watch; to pay strict attention. --Shak. It shall be
        still in strictest measure.                 --Milton.

     4. Governed or governing by exact rules; observing exact
        rules; severe; rigorous; as, very strict in observing the
        Sabbath. "Through the strict senteries." --Milton.

     5. Rigidly; interpreted; exactly limited; confined;
        restricted; as, to understand words in a strict sense.
     Syn: Exact; accurate; nice; close; rigorous; severe. --
          Strict, Severe. Strict, applied to a person, denotes
          that he conforms in his motives and acts to a principle
          or code by which he is bound; severe is strict with an
          implication often, but not always, of harshness. Strict
          is opposed to lax; severe is opposed to gentle. And
          rules as strict his labored work confine, As if the
          Stagirite o'erlooked each line.           --Pope.
          Soon moved with touch of blame, thus Eve: - "What words
          have passed thy lips, Adam severe!"       --Milton.
>From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

  strict
       adj 1: rigidly accurate; allowing no deviation from a standard;
              "rigorous application of the law"; "a strict
              vegetarian" [syn: {rigorous}]
       2: (of rules) stringently enforced; "hard-and-fast rules" [syn:
           {hard-and-fast}]
       3: incapable of compromise or flexibility [syn: {rigid}]

That is: I don't believe A is strictly prefered to B if A can be
eliminated by a C and B is strictly prefered to C.

Thanks,

--
Raul