Re: The constitution and the social contract

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> First off, Darren wrote me last week and explained what he was doing.
> I didn't forward the information to the list at the time, because
> I wanted to give him time to wrap things up.  So, while there's some
> potential here I'm not approaching this from that point of view.

I'm glad to hear this.

> He's gotten a lot of negative criticism from the folks on this list.
> A number of people (who, near as I can tell, haven't even read what the
> constitution has to say about his job) have made all sorts of comments
> about how they think he should do his job this way or that way or not
> do it at all.  Most of it was pompous posturing, but that doesn't mean
> he should completely ignore what's been said.

I'm not talking at all about the criticism of the substance of his
decision.  As far as I'm concerned, he's charged with interpreting our
constitution, and I will happily let him do that job.  I might
disagree with his interpretation (I have not said, and will not), but
I completely support it, since he has made it.  It's his game, in that
regard.

My complaint is with a very confusing ballot, that promised a second
ballot.  It's with a www.debian.org/vote page that can't even keep up
to date with the current status of anything.

> There isn't any particular urgency for him to act at the moment, and
> he wants to make sure that what he says next is as correct as possible.

There has been no indication at all that he was even deliberating or
thinking or doing anything.  It looks for all the world like he just
vanished.  It's a volunteer organization, but one of our guidelines is
that if a person vanishes, they should say "I'm vanishing for a bit".

I much prefer a good decision to a hasty one, and perhaps the very
confusing ballot last month was a product of over-hasty decision
making.  But we do have a right, we developers, to know what's up.  It
is, after all, our organization.  Darren could have even posted and
said "I'm not sure what the right thing to do is here, so I'm thinking
about it, and I will let you know as soon as I have come to some kind
of decision."

Thomas