Re: The constitution and the social contract

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> Best resolution I can imagine is: we ratify the social contract
> as having the same significance as the constitution.

This is a plausible approach to take; it's roughly what Manoj's
amendment would do.

But right now, you've probably gone and made things about ten times
worse.

Because the Project Secretary has apparently vanished from the face of
the earth, you're it.  As such, it's inappropriate for you to make
substantive suggestions about resolution, given that you will also be
the person charged with deciding constitutional questions and the
like.

So can I beg that you please not try and make substantive resolutions
just yet, and instead focus on reassembling some kind of rational and
unbiased procedure that makes sense?  It might now be too late for you
to do that with credibility, because you are now making substantive
proposals, and any procedure you outline might be read as an attempt
to get your proposal passed.  But maybe not.

We need a secretary, now, to deal with the current situation and to
focus on procedure.  I guess I would be happy to deal, but I have also
made lots of substantive statements about the present issues, and that
would probably mandate against me.  THIS is the priority.  There are
plenty of proposals on the table.  We do not need more proposals.  We
need someone who is official in charge of running the ballots and
elections to actually do so.  There a jillion ways to get us there,
but it takes, you, Wichert, and Darren to actually DO IT.

Thomas