Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 04:08:03AM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > You miss my point, i am not speaking about big companies but about smaller
> > groups, individuals or research institues or other such.
> If you continue like this, I think you make me change my mind about debian
> and non-free...

John's proposal is, IMO, a reaction to a growing movement within Debian
against the DFSG.  I do believe that movement exists and has always
existed to some degree, but it's on the rise as Linux gains in popularity
and new people care less and less about the free foundation on which
Debian stands.  They are the people who wanted to split non-free into
non-cd and non-free.  They're the people who think the DFSG is too
restrictive, and they're a part of the group who believe Debian can't
divorce itself of non-free software now.  (In fact, they don't believe it
could or should do so ever..)

The real question to answer is simple:  Is John's proposal the right
solution?  I don't think so.  A lot of people don't.  Add to that an
almost MIA secretary and a tech ctte chair who's openly against the
proposal to the point of trying to undermine it actively before it gets
voted on and at least the appearance of the same from the MIA secretary
(who hasn't been around to answer complaints - though he has said at least
that he's not trying to prevent it from getting voted on), and have a very
big, very convoluted mess very quickly.

> > I myself maintain the ocaml package, developped at french INRIA. it was
> > previously distributed under a free but only distribute as pristin source +
> > patch (well no binaries). and couldn't go even in non-free without permission
> > from the author. There are loads of GPLed and other free stuff which depended
> Its a free package but can not even go into non-free? I don't get that.

... he considers it free enough, apparently, despite Debian's silly
guidelines that say otherwise.

<wichert> 8am is an ungoldly hour to be awake :)
* gorgo usually gets up at 11am