Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> Without regard to constitutionality, I believe there are technical reasons
> why non-free should remain a little while longer.  Netscape is the biggest
> of them at the moment since currently Mozilla is not ready to replace it.

So use an installer package.  We have one now, and it can go into
contrib.  Note that my GR does not require the removal of contrib.

Again, I'm not Big Brother.  I'm not going to invade your house and
delete Netscape off all your computers.

> However, I have little belief that it WILL pass, regardless of the
> majority required.  I don't even think John expects a simple majority vote
> would pass at this point (and he's somewhat disappointed by this..)  I

I don't know what it would get, but I do know it's a tough fight.

> This GR is not one that Darren likes - that much is fairly evident from
> other postings he's made on similar subjects found in archives.  I feel
> that as a result he's given it a second-class priority and is in fact
> actively trying to ensure that it's never voted on with this latest
> decision.  John made his proposal, he got his seconds, he got several
> vocal detractors who don't like it, and he followed constitutional
> procedure to have his vote.  Weeks and even months later, there is no vote
> and by the looks of it, there never will be.  That ain't right.  If it's
> going to fail, let it fail because the developers don't want to see the
> social contract so easily modified or because they don't like the proposal
> in general.  Not because one person decides he wants the issue to die.

I might also add that people in support of it have had to go to
extraordinary measures to get it accepted.  Things like having to
*resign* seconds because for some reason a forwarded message to -vote
was not acceptable to Darren (even though it is by the
Constitution!).

I also note that the webpage on this still has an incorrect status, so
anyone checking the official Debian voting website will think that
there has not even been a CFV on it yet!

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>                       www.complete.org
Sr. Software Developer, Progeny Linux Systems, Inc.    www.progenylinux.com