Re: Non-Constitutional Voting Procedure

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Joseph Carter wrote:

> John's proposal is, IMO, a reaction to a growing movement within Debian
> against the DFSG.  I do believe that movement exists and has always
> existed to some degree, but it's on the rise as Linux gains in popularity
> and new people care less and less about the free foundation on which
> Debian stands.  They are the people who wanted to split non-free into
> non-cd and non-free.  They're the people who think the DFSG is too
> restrictive, and they're a part of the group who believe Debian can't
> divorce itself of non-free software now.  (In fact, they don't believe it
> could or should do so ever..)

There may be some examples of individuals who have the attitude you
describe, but I think your overall analysis of the situation may be
incorrect.  You are confusing *pragmatic* support for an ideological
position with not supporting that position at all...

Please tell me if you can explain why this is not the case.

Peter Eckersley
(pde@cs.mu.oz.au)
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde

for techno-leftie inspiration, take a look at
http://www.computerbank.org.au/