Re: PROPOSED: [CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT] Alternate disambiguation of 4.1.5

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:00:29AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Indeed, I had proposed this in -project on the 19th of
>  July. This addresses the same ambiguity that Brandon does in his
>  proposal, but in a distincly different fashion. I would suggest that
>  this should be offered as an alternative to Brandon's proposal, if it
>  comes to a vote (if the rules lawyers deem that permissible). If not,
>  this may stand on its own (leaving open the possibility that both,
>  almost opposite, amendments may be accepted).
>
> 	I am now looking for seconds for this proposal.

Yes, Branden (mis-spelling his name is living dangerously you know..)
posted his amendment to your propsal here.  ;)  So now you can post yours
to amend his.  Aren't GRs fun?  heh.

>  4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election
[..]
> -    5. Issue nontechnical policy documents and statements.
> -       These include documents describing the goals of the project, its
> -       relationship with other free software entities, and nontechnical
> -       policies such as the free software licence terms that Debian
> -       software must meet.
> -       They may also include position statements about issues of the day.
> +    5. Issue, modify and withdraw nontechnical policy documents and statements.
> +       These include documents describing the goals of the project, its
> +       relationship with other free software entities, and nontechnical
> +       policies such as the free software licence terms that Debian
> +       software must meet.
> +       They may also include position statements about issues of the day.
> +   5.1 A special clause applies to the documents labelled as
> +       "Foundation Documents". These documents are those
> +       that are deemed to be critical to the core of the project,
> +       they tend to define what the project is, and lay the
> +       foundations of its structure. The developers may
> +       modify a foundation document provided they agree with a 3:1
> +       majority.
>
> -- +   5.2 Initially, the list of foundation Documents consists
> +       of this document, The Debian Constitution, as well as the
> +       documents known as the Debian GNU/Linux Social Contract and the
> +       Debian Free Software Guidelines. The list of the documents
> +       that are deemed to be "Foundation Documents" may be changed
> +       by the developers provided they agree with a 3:1 majority.
>      6. Together with the Project Leader and SPI, make decisions about
>         property held in trust for purposes related to Debian. (See
>         s.9.1.)

For lack of a more simply worded amendment which accomplishes the same
result, I second this.

(I hope this will at least put a hold to the current attempts to pretend
the constitution already includes this amendment without regard to the
facets of reality until such time as a vote may be had.  Somehow though,
I suspect that would seem to make too much sense for Debian's own brand of
quasi-political maneuvering to consider..  However, I digress.)

Lucas' Law:  Good will always win, because evil hires the _stupid_
             engineers.