Re: The Gordian Knot (was Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal)

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 12:47:13AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> This is a form of the question "do you want to consider
> non-free packages" that I would like to avoid asking.
>
> Could we please remove this question from the default version of apt
> that is in `main'?
>
> Perhaps this question could be asked *if* some non-commented-out line
> in the configuration file lists a non-`main' component.

I think this is a fair way of doing things. The script could ask for
sections to be included, defaulting to main and possibly crontrib? I
don't think it's imperative for non-free to be included in the default
list *if* it's documented clearly. It does *not*, of course, have to be
documented on rms's expurgated web site. :) Existing configurations
would be left alone, I assume.

Mike Stone