Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     The problem is that we, Debian, *have* to ask that question, somehow,
>     somewhere.
>
> No, that is not exactly true.  What is true is that many of the people
> in Debian want to offer a system which does provide non-free packages,
> and will probably insist Debian give them a way to do that.

Richard, Debian has pledged in our social contract to support our users of
non-free software and our users in general, please review
http://www.debian.org/social_contract, particularly point 5.

It is entirely accurate to say that *Debian* has to ask that question. We
have the somewhat unconfortable position of being comitted to
free-software and being comitted to our users. If ever there should be a
conflict we have said our users will win. (clause 4)

Jason