Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 03:53:56AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 07:59:07PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Foo Emulator: used for development of a free OS for platform Foo (I do
> >
> > > Foo Frontend: used with development versions of free alternatives to
> >
> > > Foo Client: used to aid development of a free server for Foo (some are
> >
> > Then all this stuff should be in main. (I think it should be anyway.)
>
> Foo Emulator would be in main if it didn't require non-free Foo ROMs to
> make it work at all.

It doesn't. The free OS that I mentioned is compiled to a ROM image to
replace the normal ones. People still objected to the emulator going
into main. [[And why should this depend on the existence of an
alternative ROM image (shades of readline under GPL here)?]]

> Foo Frontend ...  Well, how does a Tk frontend for xanim help you make a
> free replacement for xanim?  How does a PGP shell help you develop a free
> replacement for PGP?

I said "used with" in that case. However, someone has pointed out that
the reason mailcrypt et al are in contrib is due to a non-us rather
than a non-free depependency! This is a bit bizarre. IMHO they should
just be in main (or perhaps non-us/main if there is no pgp-us). As far
as xanim is concerned, my original (fairly weak) statement stands.

Giuliano.