Re: The Ugly Logo and the Consequences

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 02:36:20AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 10-Jun-99, 00:25 (CDT), Sven LUTHER <luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hey, you now they are some countries where you are fined if you don't
> > show to vote, i think they believe that voting is an obligation not a
> > right.
>
> As a totally off-topic point, I completely disagree with that concept.

It is your right to disagree, ... But still it is your civil obligation to vote, at
least if you want to complain about what your governement does afterward :) ...

> > Yes, but this is important information, and if you are not aware that
> > there is a vote ongoing, you cannot vote.
>
> If it's important to you, you would take the time to either look at
> the web page or subscribe to (and ensure that you have continued
> subscription to) the relevant lists.

ok i did now, i was subscribed to debian-vote, but got unsubscribed, don'
t know why, maybe my fault, maybe not, Is that a reason for not being informed of
votes ?

> > Hey we all are bussy people, you don't think that looking at the
> > voting info page every now and then is less productive than getting
> > mail with the info. Especially voting info, that you can set procmail
> > to have it stay in the Inbox, not stowed away in some list, that you
> > only read if you have time for it.
>
> I think it takes < 1 minute about once a week to click on a bookmark
> to bring up a relatively simple page to check if there is an active
> proposal. If you'd rather get it via e-mail, subscribe to debian-vote.

I was subscribed, expected to receive mail there, didn't receive any. ...

> The choices are there, people. Participation takes time and effort. I
> completely understand if you don't have the time, or can't make the
> effort. That's OK, I go through periods where pretty much drop off the
> lists, both reading and writing (there are probably a bunch of you who
> just thought "He should do it now!" :-)). But as I said before, if all
> you want to do is read the ballot and enter the numbers, I *personally*
> would rather you didn't vote at all.

But if you know there is a vote, and if it is important to you, you can take the
time and find more info about it, if you don't know about it, you cannot.

Ok lets stop here, i subscribed to both debian-vote and debian-devel-announce and
will receive the next vote i hope. I don't think i would have voted anyway, since i
don't have pgp installed here. but still it would have been nice to know about it.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER