Re: The Ugly Logo and the Consequences

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 01:05:35PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 08-Jun-99, 14:51 (CDT), Stephen Crowley <crow@debian.org> wrote:
> > I totally agree, I wasn't even aware there was a vote going on until I
> > saw someone talking about it on IRC. I'm not not on -devel, there is
> > way too much traffic there. Why cant the CFV be CC:'ed to -private or
> > something?
>
> Because -private is not for announcements. What is the big objection to
> subscribing to -vote? It's not that busy, and if you are interested in

because you are automatically subscribed to private, and note to other lists,
because debian-vote unsubscribed people back in december. It would be solved if
developpers would be automatically subscribed to debian-devel-announce (since
anyway we are supposed to subscribe, why not do it automatically.

> voting on a topic, you should be willing to follow the discussion. Or
> just look at http://www.debian.org/vote/ once in a while. I agree that
> the initial CFV should also be on -devel-announce.
>
> <RANT> (Not aimed at Stephen in particular)
>
> A democracy requires participation to be successful. Participation
> includes far more than just showing up in the polling booth. If people
> are not willing to spend a little time to read the appropriate list or
> occasionally look at the website to see what's going on, I don't really
> want them to vote.

Hey, you now they are some countries where you are fined if you don't show to vote,
i think they believe that voting is an obligation not a right.

> The point of having so many different lists is so that people can tune
> the information flow to their specific interests. The corrallary is
> that if you are interested in something, you need to subscribe to the
> appropriate list, not whine about that particulcar piece of information
> wasn't posted to the other lists.

Yes, but this is important information, and if you are not aware that there is a
vote ongoing, you cannot vote.

> There is an obvious link from the Developers' Corner to the voting
> info page, and the list of available mailing lists includes both
> -devel-announce and -vote. We're supposed to be responsible people.

Hey we all are bussy people, you don't think that looking at the voting info page
every now and then is less productive than getting mail with the info. Especially
voting info, that you can set procmail to have it stay in the Inbox, not stowed
away in some list, that you only read if you have time for it.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER