Re: Why discover1-data is so old in Debian Sarge, while in unstable is up to date ?

    andreas> * Eddy Petrisor (eddy.petrisor@gmail.com) [050608 21:03]:
    >> On 6/7/05, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote: >
    >> [Francesco P. Lovergine] > > Someone suggested that
    >> discover1-data should enter the volatile > > archive.  It could
    >> have sense, IMHO. That along with an up-to-date > > d-installer
    >> could allow installation of sarge for years from now...
    >> >
    >> > Would need a kernel with up to date drivers as well.

    >> so? can't there be modules, like the ones for pcmcia?  I know
    >> backporting is hard sometimes, but the idea with discover in
    >> volatile, seems reasonable and justified.

    andreas> IMHO it's first the decision of the maintainers whether
    andreas> they consider an updated package in volatile to be
    andreas> sensible or not. Also, a newer kernel _might_ be possible
    andreas> in volatile one day - but that's not something for the
    andreas> weekend after the release of sarge. Whoever needs always
    andreas> the latest stuff is better off with backports.org and
    andreas> similar repositories.

    But kernel is a lot more complicated since it, to be used on
    install time, need a updated installer and a lot of other
    things. Only the kernel available on volatile doesn't solve the
    problem with unsuported hardware by install time.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116