Strange New Installation Behavior

I am running Bookworm and cleaned up a couple of files too many resulting in a messed up Xfce Desktop. I decided that this would be a good time to reinstall the Bullseye.

I made a backup of my /home/comp directory using Deja-dup.

I downloaded and ran the 512 check sum on a copy of Debian-12.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso and ran the Graphical Install mode on the 1.0 TD SSD on my Computer. The installation went smoothly without any warning or error messages.

I logged in as root to set up the Desktop and, much to my surprise, found that my previous Desktop configuration was still there!!??? This was also the case when I logged in user!!!???

I have been using computers in my work since the 1960, the era of the Hollerith Card and tape drives and Linux since early days of Slackware and the Red Hat Mother's Day Edition. Now I am not a computer expert but a Research Chemist.  I have installed Linux OS's many times and consider Linux my primary computational platform. I have never encountered the situation and have no ideas as to what is going on.

I have been runnind Debian since Etch.

I would appreciate some insight into what might be going on.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
https://insilicochemistry.net
(614)312-7528 (c)