Re: Root password strength

Pierre-Elliott Bécue writes:
> My home sees plenty different people coming in. Some I trust, some I
> trust less. Also videocalls is a nice way to get a paper password
> recorded (and yes it happens).

I keep my passwords in a small book the size of a passport and I secure
it the same way I secure my wallet.  No visitor is going to get access
to it and no video call would get a look at it (if I did those).  Bruce
Schneier recommends this approach.  Most people are going to use
crackable passwords if you insist that they memorize them.  You can't
stop that by yelling at them.

I use a password manager for non-critical passwords, but I also write
them down in my password book.  I don't want to lose them in a disk crash
and I won't store anthing important in the "cloud".

The never write down a password rule originated back when you only had
one 6 or 8 character password which you used to log on to the VAX via
the VT100 in your cubicle.  People would stick a slip of paper with
their password on it under the keyboard where the janitor could get at
it.
--
John Hasler
john@sugarbit.com