Re: Root password strength

John Hasler <john@sugarbit.com> wrote on 20/03/2024 at 19:35:42+0100:

> Pierre-Elliott Bécue writes:
>> My home sees plenty different people coming in. Some I trust, some I
>> trust less. Also videocalls is a nice way to get a paper password
>> recorded (and yes it happens).
>
> I keep my passwords in a small book the size of a passport and I
> secure it the same way I secure my wallet.

And yet your digital persona is less secure than if you didn't do it.

> No visitor is going to get access to it

If you indeed put your wallet in a safe, then I can understand this
statement, otherwise it's just overly optimistic.

> and no video call would get a look at it (if I did those). Bruce
> Schneier recommends this approach.  Most people are going to use
> crackable passwords if you insist that they memorize them.  You can't
> stop that by yelling at them.

Bruce is excellent, I don't know whether he actually stated what you
said, but even if he did, being excellent doesn't mean that whatever he
says is golden.

And remembering a passphrase is easy, not easily crackable if well
chosen, and you don't actually need to remember more than two of them
(let's go with three if you have a PGP key).

> I use a password manager for non-critical passwords, but I also write
> them down in my password book.  I don't want to lose them in a disk crash
> and I won't store anthing important in the "cloud".

And then, backups were invented.

> The never write down a password rule originated back when you only had
> one 6 or 8 character password which you used to log on to the VAX via
> the VT100 in your cubicle.  People would stick a slip of paper with
> their password on it under the keyboard where the janitor could get at

I don't know whether this is true or false, and it doesn't really change
a thing.

As the other subthreads I'll leave things there, feel free to defend one
more time a bad practice regarding password management if you feel like
it.
--
PEB