Re: f3tools vs Silicon Power 4T drive

On 2/15/24 22:16, gene heskett wrote:
I want to know with absolute certainty, with of the 4 drives in that raid10, actually has a belly ache. When it has a belly ache. I can't see any reason on this ball of rock and water, why I should be expected to replace a drive at a time until the belly ache goes away.

I seem to recall the Samsung 1 TB SSD's in your /home RAID10 were worn out. I suggest installing the 2 TB M.2 WD Black, partitioning it with GPT, creating one large partition, mounting it at /data, and copying all of the data from /home to /data before the SSD's and RAID fail completely.

I recently had an Intel SSD 520 Series 180 GB go from operational to toast, with nothing in between. If that happens to one of those Samsung 1 TB SSD's, there will be no way for the RAID10 to correct the bad blocks on the other other SSD. You will corrupt and lose data.

I leave /home on my root partition. My working directories are in CVS. The only ephemeral data is in $HOME/.thunderbird. I have a mail filter that copies incoming mail to a second folder on the IMAP server. I Bcc outgoing mail to another mail account. If my OS disk dies, I restore the image from last month, update Debian, check out my work, reconnect Thunderbird to the various e-mail servers, and clean up the Thunderbird folders as required. No data is lost.

David