Re: f3tools vs Silicon Power 4T drive

On 2/15/24 14:41, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 05:32:34PM +0000, debian-user@howorth.org.uk wrote:
Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
Do remember that this mailing lists does not accept attachments (and
very few mailing lists in general do), so any time you are tempted
to send a photo to a mailing list it is probably an error. We did
not see whatever it was, but it doesn't sound relevant.

FWIW, the photo that Gene attached was certainly attached to the mail
that the list sent to me, so I suppose that this list does permit
attachments, at least in some circumstances.

Oh yes you're right, I see it too now I've looked properly!

So now I actually think Gene means a filesystem label?

Sigh, this really does not need to be this difficult.

Anyway I see that the image of gparted says there's an ext4
filesystem there. So, Gene: when you put those partitions into LVM
(when you make them LVM Physical Volumes) the filesystems on them
will be trashed, and so will the filesystem labels.

Which is the answer I needed. Those names I wrote with gparted WILL be trashed. Now the question remains howinhell do I put a label on a drive such that it does survive making a raid or lvm device with it? To not have a way to id its the drive in slot n of a multislot rack stops me in my tracks. Particularly with these gigastones, I 5 of them but when all are plugged in there are only 3 becauae there are 2 pairs of matching serial numbers in the by-id output, by-id sees all 5 drives, but udev see's only the unique serial numbers. gparted can change the devices blkid, getting a new one from rng so while you all think that's the greatest thing since bottled beer, I know better.

Take care, stay well all.

Thanks,
Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.