Re: Home UPS recommendations

hw composed on 2024-02-09 22:45 (UTC+0100):

> On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 12:10 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> hw composed on 2024-02-09 12:07 (UTC+0100):

>> > What other manufacturers could we buy UPSs from?

>> I bought my first APC just last year, because it was what I found on the shelf in
>> WalMart, only 450VA, with "Best-in-class Service and Support", more to protect
>> bedroom TV and recorder against anomalies than power outage here in the world's
>> lightning capital. All my larger ones that are currently in service are Eaton or
>> Tripp-Lite. My spare is a Powercom with steel frame and cover, hard to extract
>> swollen old batteries from.

> Hm, Powercom doesn't seem to exist here, but Eaton seems to have good
> prices.  How's the battery availability with Eaton?

<https://batterysharks.com/csb-battery-hr1234w-battery-replacement-12v-9ah-version.html>
has the very common physical attributes used by all my Eaton, Tripp-Lite and
Powercom UPSes. The Powercom 2200VA uses 4, shipped with (I think) the 7.5AH
variety. The other 3 use pairs. My 1000VA Eaton shipped with 7.5AH. My 1500VA
Tripp-Lites came with 9AH. When I replace I only get the 9AHs so that the orphans
that survive failure of a pair have the potential to better match the next orphan
and delay another purchase a few months or more. Here in FL, replacement battery
life averages under 30 months, no matter the battery brand. OEM batteries have
averaged more like 54.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata