Re: xscreensaver fails to activate via "Preview" button or via "Blank after" setting

On 2/17/23, Mike Kupfer <kupfer@rawbw.com> wrote:
> Celejar wrote:
>
>> The logs show regular deactivate events like the following every 20
>> seconds:
>>
>> ClientMessage DEACTIVATE: already inactive, resetting activity time
>>
>> I saw this:
>>
>> https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#no-blank
>>
>> I guess I have to figure out what application is sending these messages?
>> Firefox? I do tend to keep a lot of tabs open.
>
> I recall seeing something several months ago about the Xfce power
> manager fighting with xscreensaver, though I'm not able to find it right
> now.  If you have the Xfce power manager configured to manage the
> display, you could try disabling that.

Was it maybe a comment here? As in.. a comment I made? A year ago,
apparently. It looks like I ultimately threw in the towel and opted
for only power managing.

My memory recall is that the conflict kept locking my Debian install
up to the point of requiring a hardware button reboot. That obviously
kills anything you have open and are working on at that moment.

If I get my newest debootstrap booting, I'll play with it, too. I do
like those screensavers as well as the artistic talent it takes to
create them. :)

Cindy :)
* N.B. elbrus 5 minutes after I posted yesterday: "bookworm freeze"
(as in.. not trixie). CHECK! *