Re: xscreensaver fails to activate via "Preview" button or via "Blank after" setting

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:28:23 -0800
Mike Kupfer <kupfer@rawbw.com> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
>
> > I'm running Debian Sid with XFCE. Xscreensaver used to work, but a
> > number of months ago, it broke badly: it now fails to fails to activate
> > via the "Preview" button or (more importantly) via the "Blank after"
> > setting.
>
> Thank you for bringing this up.  I just noticed yesterday that
> XScreensaver was not working with Xfce in my Bookworm VM, but I was too
> busy to look into it.  I could start it by hand after logging in, but
> there was an autostart entry for it, so I expected it to already be
> running.
>
> Have you verified that the daemon is running?  (Does "pgrep
> xscreensaver" produce anything?)

It's running:

~$ ps ax | grep screensaver
   2727 ?        S      0:07 xscreensaver -no-splash
   2813 ?        S      0:00 xscreensaver-systemd
  31876 pts/6    S+     0:00 grep screensaver

> Prompted by your email, I added an Xfce autostart command to run
> xscreensaver in verbose mode and with logging enabled.  The log says
>
>   xscreensaver: 09:09:49: running in process 4072
>   xscreensaver: 09:09:49: "cinnamon-screensaver" is already running on display :0.0 (window 0x1200001)
>
> By the time I could look at the log file, though, cinnamon-screensaver
> was no longer running.
>
> The xscreensaver man page does say something about uninstalling other
> screensavers.  It's in the section "INSTALLING XSCREENSAVER ON GNOME OR
> UNITY", but maybe it applies to other DEs?  It does seem odd that
> cinnamon-screensaver would get started in Xfce.  Maybe this is some

No cinnamon-screensaver here, as per the output shown above.

> side-effect related to using systemd to start screensavers?
>
> Anyway, if you don't have any other screensavers installed in your VM,
> try enabling logging and see if it tells you anything interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion. The logs show regular deactivate events like
the following every 20 seconds:

ClientMessage DEACTIVATE: already inactive, resetting activity time

I saw this:

https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#no-blank

I guess I have to figure out what application is sending these messages?
Firefox? I do tend to keep a lot of tabs open.

Anyway, I've updated the bug log with this information:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1014782#77

Thank you.

--
Celejar