Re: xscreensaver fails to activate via "Preview" button or via "Blank after" setting

Celejar wrote:

> I'm running Debian Sid with XFCE. Xscreensaver used to work, but a
> number of months ago, it broke badly: it now fails to fails to activate
> via the "Preview" button or (more importantly) via the "Blank after"
> setting.

Thank you for bringing this up.  I just noticed yesterday that
XScreensaver was not working with Xfce in my Bookworm VM, but I was too
busy to look into it.  I could start it by hand after logging in, but
there was an autostart entry for it, so I expected it to already be
running.

Have you verified that the daemon is running?  (Does "pgrep
xscreensaver" produce anything?)

Prompted by your email, I added an Xfce autostart command to run
xscreensaver in verbose mode and with logging enabled.  The log says

  xscreensaver: 09:09:49: running in process 4072
  xscreensaver: 09:09:49: "cinnamon-screensaver" is already running on display :0.0 (window 0x1200001)

By the time I could look at the log file, though, cinnamon-screensaver
was no longer running.

The xscreensaver man page does say something about uninstalling other
screensavers.  It's in the section "INSTALLING XSCREENSAVER ON GNOME OR
UNITY", but maybe it applies to other DEs?  It does seem odd that
cinnamon-screensaver would get started in Xfce.  Maybe this is some
side-effect related to using systemd to start screensavers?

Anyway, if you don't have any other screensavers installed in your VM,
try enabling logging and see if it tells you anything interesting.

mike