Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

Am Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 01:41:41PM -0500 schrieb gene heskett:

Hello Gene and Dave,,

> On 2/14/23 10:49, David Wright wrote:
> > Wisely done: we don't need it twice … and logs can be lengthy.

[...]

> Alright guys, I may have an existing system here that shows a 169, but not
> as default. Running Armbian bullseye AND xfce4, in fact I have 2 of them
> that show an ip r of:
>
> gene@bpi54:~$ ip r
>
> default via 192.168.71.1 dev eth0 proto static metric 100
> 169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link metric 1000
> 192.168.71.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.71.12 metric
> 100
>
> Probably have 4 of them, but only two are powered ATM, and the other is busy
> running klipper and a 3d printer.
> And networking is running fine on all 4 despite its being present as it is
> not the default. And all are using xfce4, because the gnome screen blanker
> is an instant crash and burn, requiring a power down reset to recover from.
> The xfce4 blanker Just Works.
>
> The reason you've never seen any logs etc is that if its the default. there
> is no way in hell to get you those logs or other info because there is no
> network to get it to you.  We could take screen pix, but my camera makes 5
> meg jpegs the server won't take.
>
> So maybe we can figure out whats different about Armbian that makes it work.
> Give me some troubleshooting commands to see if we can figure out whats
> different about armbian that makes it work when there's no way in hell to
> make it work with a debian install of bullseye and going clear back at least
> to stretch, maybe further? Except nuking avahi and rebooting.
>
> Maybe this is your chance to come up with a fix that doesn't get us a
> sermon, questioning our intelligence for doing it.

I am not sure about difference between Armbian and Debian. But I have
found  https://wiki.debian.org/Avahi with lots of information.
There is a section for what Avahi is intended, about temporary
disabling and permanent disabling. Disabling can be done without
deleting files or packages. I think we can rely on this documentation.
There should be no need for me to reproduce that by installing xfce4.

[...]

I did not meant to be offensive. Please excuse me if this was your
impression. English is not my first language.

> Take care & stay well, everybody.

My best wishes for you as well,
Christoph
--