Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/14/23 10:49, David Wright wrote:
Wisely done: we don't need it twice … and logs can be lengthy.

I have seen the 169.254.xxx.yyy on my system, too.
It is a Debian Bullseye. To check if Debian works on this hardware I
have simply select the xfce4 option in the installer. Either the avahi
stuff or xfce4 triggered the setup of the 169.254.xxx.yyy adress.
Disabling the start of the avahi-daemon did not change the situation.
Deinstall of avahi-daemon did not help, too.

Today I have deleted almost everything of avahi and xfce4. After a
reboot the 169.254.xxx.yyy is no more configured.

Yes, and that's a problem for anyone trying to replicate the
configuration of these addresses: we usually never see files
and logs from offending systems, but just reports of package
deletion or, even less helpful, so-called nuking of random files.

Cheers,
David.

Alright guys, I may have an existing system here that shows a 169, but not as default. Running Armbian bullseye AND xfce4, in fact I have 2 of them that show an ip r of:

gene@bpi54:~$ ip r

default via 192.168.71.1 dev eth0 proto static metric 100
169.254.0.0/16 dev eth0 scope link metric 1000
192.168.71.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.71.12 metric 100

Probably have 4 of them, but only two are powered ATM, and the other is busy running klipper and a 3d printer. And networking is running fine on all 4 despite its being present as it is not the default. And all are using xfce4, because the gnome screen blanker is an instant crash and burn, requiring a power down reset to recover from. The xfce4 blanker Just Works.

The reason you've never seen any logs etc is that if its the default. there is no way in hell to get you those logs or other info because there is no network to get it to you. We could take screen pix, but my camera makes 5 meg jpegs the server won't take.

So maybe we can figure out whats different about Armbian that makes it work. Give me some troubleshooting commands to see if we can figure out whats different about armbian that makes it work when there's no way in hell to make it work with a debian install of bullseye and going clear back at least to stretch, maybe further? Except nuking avahi and rebooting.

Maybe this is your chance to come up with a fix that doesn't get us a sermon, questioning our intelligence for doing it.

That I don't mind saying gets old. You aren't dealing with a dummy. I've passed several of those tests in my time, getting scores within the top 1%, made 147 on the Iowa IQ test, made 98 out of 100 on the AFQT in the middle of Korea, next best in 140 other boys that day was 36, and in '72, made 123 out of 125 on the CET test by walking in the door and putting my $20 bill to sit for the test on the professors desk. He'd been teaching that 2 year coarse for 5 years and I, just a stranger walking in the door was the first to pass that test. Without cracking a book I hadn't already devoured years before. I still have a mental picture of how high his eyebrows went when I turned in the paper, 45 minutes into the 4 hours allocated, when he laid the answer stencil on it and saw a sea of black he had never seen before. Priceless. ;o)>

Take care & stay well, everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis