Re: Partitioning an SSD?

Am 15.02.2023 um 23:58 schrieb PMA:
> Dear Debian,
>
> I'm preparing to install Debian 11.5.0 on a new computer.
> Its drives are SSDs, not the HDDs I've been accustomed
> to and have always fastidiously *partitioned*.
>
> With my file groupings already well differentiated c/o
> directory-tree layout, is there any further advantage
> to be had in partitioning *these* drives?
>
> (I do understand somewhat the difference between the
> drive types -- e.g., that SSDs don't assign functional
> space.  I'm just not sure what other issue may apply.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your time!
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Armstrong

I do use (NVMe-) SSD, and i did partition it.
I did it to make sure, pages/partitions start on PHYSICAL boundaries,
not the logical ones reported to satisfy Windooze. Not every model
reports correct hardware parameters to the OS.

What i would recommend, is to use GPT/UEFI if possible, to avoid future
hassle and limitations (gdisk being your friend) and set alignment
manually to the physical page size. That is going to avoid eventual
read/write cycles to accomodate emulating 512e virtual sectors and also
wasting space on the drive.

Apart from that, i do not think, you would be limited to do anything you
want with the installation. My personal preference has always been to
have room for 3 OS partitions (20GB max each), one for real, one for
fast cloning/backup and one for wild experimentation. Any serious backup
belonging onto outside media/computer anyway.

just my 2 cents

But everybody has different needs and habits, so do, whatever suits you.