Re: Flatpak memory usage

tomas@tuxteam.de (12023-02-15):
> I'm not a friend of flatpaks and similar concepts, either. For me,
> it's not memory use, but the shifting of power from a distrubution
> model to single applications. I find that makes software less "free".
>
> In a distro, applications have to get along with each other, agree
> on a common set of libraries, file system layout, etc. I think this
> is a Good Thing. Every app carrying its own little distro is like
> neoliberal hell. No wonder it uses up more resources ;-D

I agree with that. The memory impact of code is probably not that big
compared to the carelessness of applications with their memory
management for data.

But there is an even worse side to these pseudo-package managers:
updates.

Now that everybody is responsible for packaging there own applications
with all its libraries, if a bug is found in an application, you can
hope its author will issue an updated package.

But do you trust the developers of all the applications you use to make
updates every time a bug, including a security issue, is found in any of
the embedded libraries?

Yeah, me neither.

And that is not counting the fact that every time a new bug is found in
OpenSSL or libxml2 we would have to update the dozens of packages that
embed them.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George