Re: Flatpak memory usage

On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 07:11:02 +0100
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 10:36:12PM -0500, paulf@quillandmouse.com
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I find the trend disturbing. If you have a lot of apps running, and
> > they're all these types of packages, you're going to be using
> > considerably more memory [...]
>
> I'm not a friend of flatpaks and similar concepts, either. For me,
> it's not memory use, but the shifting of power from a distrubution
> model to single applications. I find that makes software less "free".
>
> In a distro, applications have to get along with each other, agree
> on a common set of libraries, file system layout, etc. I think this
> is a Good Thing. Every app carrying its own little distro is like
> neoliberal hell. No wonder it uses up more resources ;-D

I'd forgotten about that angle. IIRC, snaps are controlled by
Canonical. Flathub controls flatpaks. Appimages can be built by anyone,
but they are one file with *everything* in them.

I trust Debian to audit and ensure my packages are secure and
interoperable. I don't necessarily trust Canonical or Flathub.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com