Re: ipv6 maybe has arrived.

On 2/13/23 03:25, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 07:12:42PM +0000, Brian wrote:

[...]

Fortunately, the vast majority of users with a modern printer have
not taken a similar view. They now enjoy an effortless and enjoyable
printing experience.

My printer is all well, thankyouverymuch. Whenever I'm after an
"experience", I take my bike and ride to the mountains, very
enjoyable :)

Cheers

Ahh nice Tomas, until it says Brother on the printer. Brother has a system of drivers AND a Linux installer that will make their printers work exactly on Linux as they do on windows, But there is an awful big IF involved with cups, it gets in the way by insisting its the only driver, but in getting in the way, it cripples what the printer can do.

The way to fix it is to remove cups-browsed, by a tactical nuke if needed. You cannot afford not to, because the normal for a printer such as an MFC-J6920DW is to keep the half dollar a sheet foto paper in the top, smaller capacity tray and at least 300 sheets of duplex copy paper at $6.00 a ream in the bottom tray. But if cups is allowed the run of the place its a non-duplex printer that will put a 350 page job, out single sided from the top tray.

That is a very expensive lesson. But its not an Apple printer, so complaints go to /dev/null.

FWIW, users of Brother printers should keep the installer and re-run it occasionally, as it will automatically install the latest, possibly bug fixed drivers on your Linux box. And they Just Work.

Take care and stay well Tomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis