Re: New Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series 3511 sound problem on Debian 11 Stable

On Sat 11 Feb 2023 at 22:46:17 (+0000), Default User wrote:
> And here is the output of aplay -l:

> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: Generic Analog [Generic Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

This is the device you want to concentrate on if you've got speakers.

> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

These devices, and the rest, might be useful if you have an HDMI
output that you can connect to, say, a TV.

> I did try using alsamixer, but using F6 to choose "default", which shows
> both card and chip as "PulseAudio" and then F5 to "show all controls", did
> nothing. Both the Master and Capture controls were set to 100. Below the
> Master scale, it showed "OO" (not muted). Below the Capture scale, it did
> not have a similar "block" to show either "OO" or "MM" (muted).

It's a bit difficult to follow this narrative. Useful is to list the
options when you press F6. I don't know anything about pulseaudio except
that it can both a help and a hindrance. Sorry.

> Using F6 to choose "0 HDA Intel PCH", which shows card as "HDA Intel PCH"
> and chip as "Cirrus Logic Generic", then F5 to "show all controls", also

That choice should correspond to:

  > card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: Generic Analog [Generic Analog]
  >   Subdevices: 1/1
  >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

above. You want the F3 controls for Playback. Ignore the S/PDIF
controls as that's all digital stuff. You should have Slider controls
for Master, Headphone, Speaker, Mic, possibly PCM, and perhaps more.
Make sure Master and Speaker are turned up and have OO, not MM, at the
bottom. (PCM doesn't matter, and don't worry if there's no Speaker.)

> did nothing. The "PCM" control was set to 100. The "PCM" control scale did
> not have a "block" to show either "OO" or "MM" (muted). Also visible were
> entries for "S/PDIF, then "S/PDIF 1", "S/PDIF 2" and so on through "S/PDIF
> 10" , all of which had a "block" showing "OO", but no "scale". And, when
> selected with F6, the "HDA Intel PCH" choice showed, after hitting F5, the
> message "This sound device does not have any capture controls."

Once you've got those settings, either quit with Escape, or move to a
different VC or window or xterm or whatever, and run (from alsa-utils):

$ speaker-test -D hw:0,0 -c 2

The first zero is the card, and the second is the device. I assume
you've got stereo. (Many things won't work with mono, funnily enough.)
You should get hissing noises from Left and Right speakers alternately.

As I said, it's not easy to follow what you wrote above. If you can't
get a display in alsamixer that has sliders for Master etc, and has
Generic at the top (IOW if everything I've written seems the wrong way
round), then I personally would uninstall pulse* and pavu*, and get
things working with just ALSA. Pulseaudio can play some clever tricks
once you've got things working, but it adds another layer of complexity.
If it adds ten extra fancy controls, then you've got ten extra ways of
losing the audio output.

Cheers,
David.