Re: OT: repair/replace cell in Li-ion battery?

On 05/02/2023 23:32, gene heskett wrote:
Speaking as a CET with some knowledge of battery degradation, the thought of replacing an individual cell in a li-ion battery scares me. That new battery will have a bit more capacity, which in turn may force other older cells into reverse polarity, accelerating the rate of failure of the rest of the cells, with the possibility of starting a fire you can't put out.  IOW, don't even consider it. Battery rebuilders with any care for the result, may and should select the cells with a 1 % or so like capacity, meaning your rebuilt battery s/b safe, but may not have the labeled capacity. Does your charger know about the reduced capacity?

I would not be surprised if nowadays a laptop battery (at least original one) has a balancing circuit that compensates difference of cells capacity e.g. due to non-uniform degradation.

By the way, Ottavio may be right. Some laptops have UEFI settings to maintain battery charge level of approximately 70%. It may mitigate degradation if laptop is mostly working from AC adapter.