Re: OT: repair/replace cell in Li-ion battery?

Le 05/02/2023 à 17:32, gene heskett a écrit :
On 2/5/23 09:16, local10 wrote:
Feb 5, 2023, 10:45 by yvan@masson-informatique.fr:

I have a Dell Latitude e6220 with a 2 year 6600 mAh battery, which does not charge above 67% since a few weeks. It makes me think that 1/3 of the cells are in a bad state. However, upower says that the capacity is 95%, so remaining cells are probably still good.

I don't know anything about battery, but I can do easy soldering. Is it worth the effort to try to save this battery, or not? What could be done?

Doubt you can repair the battery. Batteries degrade over time and need to be replaced with new ones, the old ones can be recycled (some electronic stores will accept batteries and other electronic waste for recycling, so check with the stores you have nearby).

If you laptop is still in good shape then buy a replacement battery and recycle the old one.

Regards,

Speaking as a CET with some knowledge of battery degradation, the thought of replacing an individual cell in a li-ion battery scares me. That new battery will have a bit more capacity, which in turn may force other older cells into reverse polarity, accelerating the rate of failure of the rest of the cells, with the possibility of starting a fire you can't put out.  IOW, don't even consider it. Battery rebuilders with any care for the result, may and should select the cells with a 1 % or so like capacity, meaning your rebuilt battery s/b safe, but may not have the labeled capacity. Does your charger know about the reduced capacity?

Thanks everybody for your your insights, I will follow your recommendations and buy a new one.

Does anybody knows trusted manufacturers / brands I could find on the Internet? I am really disappointed by this battery (brand "vhbw") partially broken after only two years…

Regards,
Yvan
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.